Obituary for T. Dale Logan
obituary header
Welcome to the memorial page for

T. Dale Logan

February 11, 1922 ~ November 16, 2016 (age 94)


Visitation starts at 11:00AM Friday November 25 at Sunnyside Little Chapel of the Chimes, 11667 SE Stevens Rd., Portland, OR  97086 (503-659-1184)  Funeral Service  follows at NOON.  Committal Service with full military honors at Willamette National Cemetery is at 1:30PM.  Reception/gathering  at Dale's home following Willamette National Cemetery at approx. 3:00PM.  Directions and mapquest will be available at the service.  All are invited.  In lieu of flowers, contributions in Dale's name may be made to Oregon Public Broadcasting.


February 11, 1922   - November 16, 2016

Truman DALE LOGAN was born in Colony, Kansas to Samuel McNair Logan (Mac) and Barbara Ann (Williams) Logan. His parents’ 100th wedding anniversary would have been this year on April 19, 2016. Dale was the 2nd of 6 children, 5 boys and 1 girl.  Their birth order was Dean, Dale, Edith, John, Sam and Glen. Dale’s only surviving sibling is Glen, who resides in Idaho and is 10 years younger than he. They lived in Colony, Kansas on a farm until Dale was about 6 years old, but he always remembered it. Colony left quite an impression on him probably due to a tornado  that came roaring through their property right between their house and barn. He and his older brother Dean were playing outside when all of a sudden his mother came running at both of them, scooped them both up by the back of their bib overalls and threw them down in the cellar jumping in behind them. After some time a neighbor showed up to check on them and got them out of the cellar. Their windmill had blown off; it was to be found over a mile away stuck in a tree. Luckily the tornado had caused little damage to the buildings. The family left Colony for Smith Center in the spring of 1928; Glen was born 4 years later. Dale, at 10 years old remembered the home birth of Glen. He said he could hear his mom making a lot of ruckus as he and the other kids huddled in the parlor. Then their Dad came in and kicked them all out of the house. He remembered his dad later coming outside proudly presenting Glen for all the kids to see. This was a tight knit family who would remain that way. They started a reunion tradition getting back together every 3 years or so as their families grew and as they scattered geographically.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Dale spent most of his 12 school years in the Smith Center area and enjoyed the farm life. But it was hard work and there were always chores to be done.  He was in the 1st or 2nd grade when he, his sister Edith, and brother John contracted scarlet fever. He missed 8 weeks of school and had to repeat the grade.  He also had his first run-in with the color blind issue at Beaver Valley Country School. They were preparing for a Christmas play, and he was young and excited about getting to color Santa.  Unfortunately, he chose to color it brown and the school marm (old maid Flo Tointon) came unhinged when she saw it and let him have it.  She thought he was being a smart aleck and that was not acceptable in her classroom! Out came that wooden paddle she was so fond of. Fortunately she wasn’t the football coach too, because he liked playing football – the only problem there was a shoulder that kept dislocating. Dale graduated from Smith Center High School in 1940. He attended one semester at Estherville Junior College. In 1941 they left Smith Center and moved to Estherville, Iowa; Dale was 19.  His Dad continued to farm until retiring in 1951. They then moved into town where his dad worked as a hotel clerk at the Gardston Hotel until the death of his wife, Barbara. She became ill with diabetes at age 44, and it plagued her until her death. By all accounts she was a good mother and housekeeper. Neither job was easy. Without modern conveniences, not even a refrigerator, no indoor plumbing, she heated water in two big copper tubs on the wood/coal burning cook stove.  She liked to crochet and embroider and had an unending amount of mending to do. She was also known to have a lovely singing voice. Dale’s mom died on his birthday, Feb 11, 1967. His dad eventually found himself back at Smith Center, living at a hotel when he ran into a girl (now a ‘mature’ woman) that he apparently had been engaged to way back when. It’s not clear what happened back then, but they had a falling out, with Elva’s brother somehow involved. It was well known Elva’s brother did not like Mac. But he was now deceased, she was widowed, and the timing was right! Elva and Mac married November 23, 1971 and headed out west to visit his sons on their honeymoon. When they showed up at Dale’s place, Mac was all styled up wearing a lavender shirt, purple tie and you couldn’t have slipped a piece of paper between the two of them. He was 77 years old. He and Elva had 4 great years before he died on July 23, 1975. Elva was a wonderful woman who later died Sept 26, 1987.

Dale left home in 1942, headed for Wichita and worked for Boeing for little over 8 months.  But he was anxious to get in on the War.  He and his buddy went to enlist in the Navy.  Again his old friend popped up.  Color Blindness…His buddy was accepted.  As Dad said in a letter written at the time “They caught me as color-blind as an old hoot owl!” So then he decided he would try and get in Army Air Corp, and lucky for him his mom was in town and could sign her consent to let him go! And go he went. They whisked him off faster than he was prepared for, and thus began 4 years in the service of our country. He had his eye on training to be an aircraft mechanic.  And it looked like it was going to be a swell place to save money, as there was nowhere to spend any of it.  So far he had spent most of his time on long train rides, and they never told them where they were going!  All that money was burning a hole in his pocket. He called Dean and Ruth, pretty late one night and it cost 40 cents! They were surprised he would be spending so much. He said the small pox vaccination didn’t go so well, had a little headache, “and oh yeah they put me in the hospital for a week.” About the same time he heard that Glen was in the hospital too having his appendix removed back home.  Dale wasn’t too keen on the lack of privacy where he was, Coffeeville, KS, as there were 3000 other guys training there too.  But school had started.  Already 5 days down…only 91 more to go…  And he was in the Army now. They were up in a plane target shooting at this big target being pulled through the air by another plane over the Gulf.  When his turn came, boom!  He missed the target but hit the rope towing it and the whole thing ended up in the drink… They were not very happy about that. It looked like his career at Buloxi was over. It was Boise here I come ready or not! Little did he know what lay ahead. His crew was getting ready to go over the Pond.  But they were still testing, testing all the time and  he heard they were going to do another color blind test.  He would be ready this time.  He and Johnny Johnson worked out a great plan.  Johnny would go 1st and was going to put the balls of yarn in a pre-arranged pattern that Dale had memorized.  Brilliant!  Perfect! It worked!  Until the day the gunner was supposed to hit the target down there in that field. Huh??  What target-I don’t see anything!?!   Off they went to headquarters where the head hauncho took his angst out on Dale.  When the dust settled, Dale was waving goodbye to his squadron as they flew off to Italy leaving him busted and dejected on the ground.

So one night they headed into town looking for some fun, and stopped at this supper club.  They spotted a couple of nice looking gals having supper.  Umm, do ya wanta dance?  Well I suppose so.  So Dale danced with Lucille all night, but at end of the evening he happened to dance with Doris.   Hmmmmm?…..hmmm?!  They were married May 24, 1945 and moved into a little house on some farm land Doris’s dad had.  Nice.  This beat the Army all to heck..  Wonder when I’m getting out?   Doris receives telegram at the bank where she works.…..      Feb 2, 1946      8:00am                 DEAR HONEY                    WAS DISCHARGED NOON TODAY.  MEET ME AT BUS DEPOT TOMORROW NITE AT 6:45                 LOVE DALE

Life was about to change, and it kept changing for the better. He got a job as a laborer for Morrison- Knudsen for a year. Then in 1947 he went to work for Terminal Ice & Cold Storage as an Operating Engineer in the Nampa Idaho Plant.  He worked there until 1968, when he was promoted to the Portland Office, and added trouble shooter to his job description.  He continued to work for the company he loved until July 1, 1985 when he was offered early retirement along with at least a dozen other guys. After much deliberation and trepidation by Doris he accepted. What would they do now to fill his time?  He had to keep busy….

Meanwhile during those working years they raised 2 children:

Ronald Dale Logan was born Jan 22, 1947 

and Susan Kay Logan was born March 6, 1953.

They spent summer weekends and vacations camping, boating, fishing, with hot dog roasts at Givens Hot Springs, church activities, winter time-sledding down old logging roads on old airplane inner tubes, searching for the perfect Christmas tree.  And then Dale’s employer, Terminal Ice, upped the anty and provided office employees a 36 foot Grand Banks Motor Yacht to use in the San Juan Islands on their vacations.  And use they did.  Susan married Richard Weathers on it.  They flew up to northern tip of Vancouver Island to meet the boat and brought her back down to the States.  Many good times, and memories that can’t be topped…

Or can they?  Well, maybe not topped but spending winters in Mexico was not too hard to take.  Fishing for Yellow fin Tuna.  Then the day of THE FISH.  The 108 lb grouper taller than Dale, caught in a 14 foot open aluminum boat out in the Sea of Cortez off the southern tip of Baja with Doris along.  (Who had not really conquered her fear of water even though she took swim classes to try and get over it.)  She was looking at that fish… and looking at that boat… and wondering if the 3 of them couldn’t fit who would get left behind??? Nobody! Because Dale knew there was always a way to do something.  You just needed to figure it out step at a time. “Now, Doris if you will lean way out over the ocean acting as a counter weight- a little more—a bit more-- I’m pretty sure I can pull this fish in over the side without capsizing the boat. When we make it back to shore-hours from now- this fish will feed the whole village…” And it did.  

They had numerous crabbing trips along the Oregon Coast with family and friends. There were other adventures…  Like waiting until their children grew up and moved out so they could go to Disneyland.  Twice. They made it to the Disneyland in Florida. Twice. 

Next, they explored Canada in their travel trailer. Another trip took them to Washington DC, Virginia, every place she ever wanted to go. They dragged that trailer through every state in the union except South Carolina and Hawaii. And, Dale would take her on a special trip for their 50th wedding anniversary. He loaded up that trailer, and said, “Honey I will take you to Niagara Falls for our 50th wedding anniversary, and I promise – this time we’ll look at the falls.”

YES- A life lived well… indeed.


 Service Information

Funeral Service
November 25, 2016

12:00 PM
Sunnyside Little Chapel of the Chimes
11667 S.E. Stevens Rd.
Portland, Oregon 97086

© 2018 Sunnyside Little Chapel of the Chimes Funeral & Cremation. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS